Monday, March 3, 2008

In Case You Missed It

Here is the speech I gave at the Engagement Party last Friday.

There is an extended remix version that may or may not include the official proposal.

It might be on the Director's Cut.

-x


I have a plan.

A scheme. Thoughts on ideas on theory based on fact and observation. Hatched in the dead of night, examined in the daylight of warm afternoons.

I have a plan of the past. I have felt betrayal. I have known the pain of loss. I have see joy jump from face to face. I have lain awake nights dreaming of missed opportunity and broken connections. I have been with people. I have been alone, lost in the sea of myself. Overwhelmed by History, but knowing my ancestors have all conspired to bring me to this moment.

I have a plan of the present. Living in this moment. Capturing the memory of now to pass down to my future.

I have a plan of the future. I know where I'll be December 27th. I have talked of flowers and invitations, of music and types of cake. I have spoken of children who we will raise to be citizens and patriots, members of the world who know how history of self and family are necessary to understand everyone and everything around you.

I have a plan of commitment. Of sacrifice and longing for each other. A plan of family and being a branch in a much larger tree. Of watching children start their own lives with others and grandchildren in turn start theirs.

And so we stand here tonight, holding hands, faces turned toward the Sun.

Tonight I thank each of you for helping Amber and I in our journey here. You have touched our lives in important ways. Your thoughts and ideas have allowed us to come together tonight and look toward the future. And so we celebrate each of you as you have celebrated us.

No comments: